Serotonin Boosting Pumpkin & Ginger Soup
We all know I am a huge advocate of pumpkin for our mental health. The pumpkin seeds itself contains fats that covert to 5-HTP, which is metabolized into Serotonin. This is a soup with mega healing benefits. Enjoy!
- 500 g approx 2.5 cups butternut squash or pumpkin, chopped into small cubes
- 2 medium gala apples stalk removed and cut into large wedges
- 1 small red onion cut into large wedges
- 3 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice or ¼ tsp nutmeg + cinammon
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or balsamic
- Salt and pepper to taste
To serve, a swirl of coconut milk, chives and last but not least, pumpkin seeds.
Preheat oven to 200C / 390F. Add the squash/pumpkin, apples, onions and garlic to a large roasting tin with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and roast for 30-40 minutes.
Once cooked, unpeel the roasted garlic gloves and add them to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend everything until smooth, adding more vegetable stock, if needed. Season to taste.
To serve, add a swirl of coconut cream or dairy-free yoghurt. Top with chopped chives and pumpkin seeds.